Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I am Lynden Lion and a Wall (Johnson)

I have always taken pride in being a Lynden Lion. I will always be one. I won't go into details what this means, because if you don't know how cool and how much better we were than everyone else, I really shouldn't talk to you. Totally kidding. I am also a Wall. Even if there is a Johnson at the end of my name, my boys have Johnson blood, I live in Pleasant Grove Utah, I am still a Wall.....

Every year I buy flowers, and every year they die. Every year I swear I won't let them die, but needless to say, I am a poor flower keeper. After a couple years of trying a garden (only to have Shad water them, and the pheasants eat them)I decided to save the money on the garden and just buy food at the store. I would be a great care giver the first few days, but after that, if it didn't rain, they didn't live. I had finally decided even though I felt like I could garden, I really couldn't. However, I was NOT going to admit this.

Fast forward to May of 2009. I decide to buy flowers, peppers, and carrots.

"Look Shad, I got some flowers!"
"Huh, what else do you have there?"
"Some peppers, and carrots."
laughing under his breath, "and what are you going to do with those?"
acting totally annoyed that he even asked, "grow them. I am going to put them in big pots on the deck-that way I won't forget about them"
"I give you until June, and I bet they are all dead."
"It's on"

Now I am sure it is Lion in me to prove him wrong, just like we did when we beat LC at the 1994 District Basketball Tournament. However, I am also sure it's the Wall in me that was thinking, I will grow these darn veggies, and you better watch how it's done!

I did kill a couple of the green peppers that I didn't get into planters soon enough, but I also saved some peppers from a certain death from a frost. Shad still thinks that I replaced them with new plants just to make him think I didn't kill them. I didn't though, and this really irks me (not really, but it's kind of like my mom and sister swearing I put chap stick on my Raggedy Ann doll when I didn't. Why would I ruin my own doll?). Back to the important stuff, I noticed my carrots were looking pretty good a couple weeks ago. I decided it must be time to start the harvest. I am almost tearing up at how good I am, I did it. I pulled them out and this is what I got.



looks like it was ready from the top.


but i guess it wasn't quite yet.


oh, but look at these peppers!

There are still many more carrots,peppers, and my flowers are still alive.
I win. Lions always rule, Walls always win. Always.

post script: if you don't understand the tiny bit of sarcasm in this, you don't know me. the lions are the best, and Lynden will always be number one, but other than that...you know.

7 comments:

Shayleen Lunt said...

Good job Amy. I'm glad you won ;)
Hot peppers! Do you cook with those?

The Wacky Wilkins said...

That is hilarious!! I am a through and through plant killer, so I'm completely impressed by your skills. Good luck and hang tough . . . I think that you can do it :)

sarinah♥ said...

LoL! And that is all I'm saying...!

Michelle said...

L
L-I-O
L-I-O-N-S
Lions are the very best.

Lori said...

Way to go! I kill everything and have given up hope. Way to persevere.

Lance and Kim said...

I just love your carrots--what a green thumb! You crack me up!

Britney said...

you are ridiculous. and so is your (and your family's) obsession with the lions and the lynden trib.

but i love you anyway.