Sunday, April 18, 2010

Biking in Yellowstone

My father in law is an avid skiier and biker. I am not. My son Kelton is really really getting into it. For the last several years Grandpa has asked us to go biking in Yellowstone. I know it would be fun seeing the animals and hanging out with family, but the idea of driving that far to bike miles and miles, just didn't seem like my cup of diet cherry pepsi. Last year and this year Kelton has gone with him skiing quite a few times, including Yellowstone. I knew I would end up needing to go at some point, but hoping this "some point" would be later. There really was no way around it this time. I worked a bit extra to get caught up with work things, and packed our bags. I was actually getting excited the few days leading up to going, excited to get away and not have a computer staring at me for a few days.
We left Friday after work and drove the 6 hours, all the while completely enjoying myself and the company I had in the car. Shad and Grandpa left an hour or so after us, but caught up with us in the metropolis of Idaho Falls. Sam was a total trooper the whole way. Not a peep out of the kid. We got in about midnight, unpacked and got into bed. Too bad Sam was too round up to fall asleep until around 2:30. We had a schedule of events and the day was to start at 7 am. We got up, ate a great breakfast, got our gear all ready and headed out. The ride was surprisingly easy. I totally thought that I would be sweating like crazy and dying to go back after mile 2...We made it 35 miles! No biggie. Too bad my seat was tilted a bit up, so I did have a sore crotch for a day, but really it wasn't so bad. We saw tons of wildlife and had a blast. Sam enjoyed it as well. He was pulled behind "tampa" (trying to say grandpa-I really wanted to just call him playtex, since it's close enough..). Kelton had a wreck about 14 miles in, but with a little tp and tape, he was able to pull through as well. The afternoon was filled with swimming, hot tub, pizza and just chilling out at the hotel.
Sunday morning we went and saw the a place where they keep a couple wolf packs and some bears that have been injured. We got to see a live show, and some bears up real close. It is off season there right now so we were able to talk to the people who work there and learn more about the animals. Kelton was in Heaven. Sam was trying to find every mud puddle he could.
We headed home after lunch, with another relaxing ride home. I had a blast! I am looking forward to doing it again next year, and maybe even do a little skiing next time too.

THANKS SO MUCH GRANDMA AND GRANDPA JOHNSON! WE LOVE YOU!

6 comments:

sarinah♥ said...

So glad you were able to get away and have some family fun. Memories!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you guys had a good time. It sounds fun and adventurous. I'm also glad your butt didn't fall off from sitting on the tiny seat for so long.

Lori said...

Sorry, that was from Lori not Tyson.

Anonymous said...

yikes... 35 miles... holy crap I still wouldn't be walking... lol... how fun! i'm jealouse...just sayin!

Shayleen Lunt said...

I'm so glad you had fun! Next time you are going to want to bike all the way through the park!

Unknown said...

Flat feet should choose MBT M.Walk walk shoes platform bow sandals heels MBT M.Walk Shoes more difficult, or susceptible to plantar fasciitis, high arches of the people should use templates BT M.Walk Shoe softer or a cushion to reduce shock on the foot Department of injury.