Friday, March 27, 2009

Sam-what happened?

First I need to say thanks to everyone for all your prayers and your support. This has been the worst week of my life. It has also been a week to remember. To remember how lucky we are to have friends and family. This is going to be a boring post, but this is my journal too. Here it goes.

Thursday March 19th, Sam wakes up around 6:30 with vomit in his bed that looks like grapes. I get him up, feed him some oatmeal, 20 minutes later, the oatmeal is all over him, the couch, and me. The rest of the day is a blur of cleaning up puke. It didn't matter what I gave him, it came right back up. Thinking it was a "flu bug" I continued to give him fluids.

Friday March 20th Really lethargic. He doesn't move an inch off the air-mattress (I set it up the night before to sleep with him). He has no interest in food or drink. He sleeps most of the day. I called the Dr. around 1:45 to see if I should bring him in, he hasn't eaten or kept anything down in over 24 hours and hasn't had a wet diaper since Thurs. night. They say bring him in at 2. I see the PA since my doc has Friday's off. The PA says he should get an iv of fluid, but didn't know if he should be admitted. He retrieves a pediatrician in the office and he comes to check him out. He also thinks Sam should get some fluids, then be re-evaluated. I carry Sam from the Dr. office to the Hospital. Get checked in, an IV inserted and wait for 2 hours while he gets fluids. "He will really perk up after the fluids, he is just really dehydrated" says the Dr. and the nurses. The IV is finished around 5 and he is still just laying there. The nurses and I both think something is odd, but don't know what is wrong. She calls the Dr. (not working today remember) and he sounds kind of annoyed that he was called on his day off. I talk to him saying Sam is still really lethargic, has a fever (102 since Thurs. night). He gives me the option of going home and being re-checked in the morning, or staying at the hospital. I don't know what to say, I'm not a physician. He calls the ped. that saw him earlier and calls back saying we should stay the night, get more fluids, then will be fine in the morning. It is "probably just a tummy virus and he needs more fluids". We get admitted, start another drip, Sam pukes all over the bed, Shad arrives after we clean the bed. I go home to get clothes and a bite to eat. I call Shad to check on Sam, and he says there has been another "accident", not vomit this time, but stool. He lifted Sam's legs to change his diaper and he squirted all over Shad. We were all laughing so hard at how explosive it was, and how Shad got drenched in Sam stool. Little did we know, this was the beginning...

to be continued.

2 comments:

Shayleen Lunt said...

I am SO glad you guys are home. What a week!

Lori said...

That sounds horrible. Now I know why you called the doctor. That sounds like my worst nightmare. You can't leave me hanging like that though. I am dying to hear the rest of the story. I bet you will never let Sam live the poo and puke down when he is older.