Monday, March 30, 2009

Sam Monday night-HOME

Monday night. We fell asleep around 10:30. The nurses come in at midnight, woke me up to say, Sam is really cold and his heart rate was low(68). His temp had dropped to around 95 almost 96. They had me hold him with heating pads, warm blankets, and the heat turned up to over 80. He started to warm, but still his little heart rate was low. They gave him a bolas (a ton of fluids really fast-220cc in a half hour). This helped bring the rate up some, but not as much as they would like. The doctor ordered a blood test to check his sodium and blood gas levels and it came back ok. Around 4 am, they had us lay him down again and let him rest. I left to go use the restroom/update our blog and when i came back there were about 15 people jammed in our room. When I had left, Shad was standing by the bed rubbing Sam's head, when one of the alarms went off, Sam didn't budge. Shad rubbed his little ear, and it went off again, again no movement. Shad flicked his ear and still nothing! He did it a little harder and Sam didn't react at all. He got the nurses, who called the stat cart. To get him to wake up they were holding him up, doing a chest rub, back rub, and Shad was patting his face his face. When I had walked up (I was gone for maybe 5-10 minutes) they had just woken him up. Shad was white. I was white. The nurses were worried. We watched him again until around 5 when we went back to sleep ourselves. The nurses woke me up at 5:30. Sam's heart rate=59. He is still cold, and his cap refills are at 5 and 6. His soft spot was sunken. Another round of bolsa, more heating pads, and and EKG. The EKG guy came to our room and put on 15 little sticky tabs and attached cords to the machine. After the test, he immediately left. Once again, I am not holding up too well. At 6:30 I call my mom to come up. I am freaking out. The doctor came in a few hours later and says that his EKG shows that his has a irregular regular heart rate. He is having long breaks, and short breaks, but this is a normal abnormal rate. He said that if this was the only problem, he wouldn't worry so much, but with the low temp, heart rate, and lethargy (he was really lethargic too-who wouldn't be though when you haven't eaten in almost a week, and haven't gotten any sleep). We needed another CT scan. We head down for another CT scan and this time Sam was freaked out. His little eyes were open so wide. His eyebrows were practically on top of his head. The results came back quick that everything was fine. The day called for rest, and watch. Nothing else dramatic happened the rest of Tuesday. THANK GOODNESS. Just blood work every few hours, antibiotics and at 3 pm an ounce and half of pedialyte! The doctor said he could have 1 1/2 oz every 2 hours, then at 9 we got to do it every hour. He actually ended up letting us give him what he wanted at the 9 o'clock, but Sam could only do another 3 oz. We were treated to a twin bed instead of the crib, which was awesome now we could snuggle with him. We were able to sleep most of the night, only awake for the vitals every couple hours. Around 3 the nurses came in for vitals check and Shad realized he was all wet. He didn't say anything thinking he may have peed the bed, then he noticed his pants were dry. Sam's foot IV had come out. The IV team was called to put in another one. They were usually really quick at getting them in, but this time it took 4 pokes and 45 minutes to get the line in. This exhausted all of us and we ended up sleeping until close to 7 after that ordeal.

Wednesday morning the doctor and team of residents came by and gave the ok for Sam to eat like a normal kid, but no milk products. His little tummy has to get the enzymes back for processing milk. He said that all the tests came back showing that the bacteria was gone the first night at primary's, so no need for a pick line! We were so excited. I gave him a banana and 2 crackers, and around 17 oz of pedialyte and apple juice. It took 2 hours for him to stool, then he threw it all up (on Shad). Another set back, but they said to keep feeding him. He ate little bits throughout the day, and by evening he was eating like a champ. When Sam turns the corner, he turns the corner! We slept really well Wed. night and awaited the rounds for Thurs. We were discharged with only a little rx for some lactose for his stomach. We were scheduled for a follow up on Friday morning with our PCP and told to watch him for any fevers, diarrhea, throwing up etc.

He lost a total of 3 pounds and his little legs look soooo tiny. His neck looks small too. He gets pretty tired easily, and we can't take him out in public for a while. No milk products of any kind for at least a week. I told the Doctor I was going home to throw out everything in the fridge and cupboards. He said he wouldn't go that far. He said they couldn't confirm that it was the cerous species of bacillus. He said that it was such a rare thing he got, and we will never know how he really contracted it. It still all got chucked. Sam seems to giggle a lot more now, and we all are so thankful we still have him with us.

You thought I was done? Tuesday night (night after the EKG), we got a phone call from mom Johnson saying our basement flooded! When it rains it poors. Thanks to Sarinah for coming by to do some laundry and cleaning for me (some, I say, but our house was PERFECT when we got home), she found water downstairs. Our toilet had been flushed the day before (thanks grandpa) and it didn't stop running. This could have happened to any of us. lol. The water leaked and leaked until it overflowed and went down the vent in the bathroom. By the time mom J. called us there was a party of people at our house pulling up the carpet, and tearing down the ceiling. What awesome friends and family we have to be here so fast to fix the mess. The carpet is now dry and we replaced the ceiling.

SOOOOO

Thanks for all your prayers. I know this is why Sam was healed. Thanks to Sarinah for doing so much crap work at my home. Thanks Jason, Kevin, Mark, and all who were here for cleaning the basement. Thanks Jason for feeding the dogs. Thanks to mom Johnson for all the treats at the hospital and taking care of Kelton. Thanks Gr. Wall for entertaining the nurses, and Kelton. Thanks to Mom Wall for being at the hospital day in and day out. You are what kept me sane. I know I am not mentioning everyone, but you know who you are. I am really thankful for my family and friends and for the awesome Doctors (especially Dr. Adam Stevenson), and the coolest nurses ever at Primary's. I am happy this is over.










4 comments:

The Wacky Wilkins said...

Thanks so much for updating your blog. I don't know how you handled all of that (not that you exactly had a choice) . . . and I'm so so thankful for your family that Sam is okay. I think that you are amazing.

Shayleen Lunt said...

Darn these hormones...I am bawling. Did I mention how bad I hated being out here and feeling totally helpless?
I am glad that you were able to come home to a clean house, but mostly to come home with little Sammy! That was so scary and I'm glad it's over. He is so dang cute!

Lucy Wall said...

I am now crying after seeing him in the red wagon...those made me sad when we were there with G, but, to see Sam in them breaks my heart. I am so glad he is better!!!

Lance and Kim said...

SO happy Sam is home. He does look tiny! Thabks for keeping us all posted. We will continue to pray that things get better and better!