Monday, December 24, 2007

I would scew up a dirt sandwhich if given the chance.

Every year when it comes time to think of an idea for Christmas gifts for friends and neighbors I struggle. I REALLY struggle. I want it to be something neat, something creative, and of course something somewhat inexpensive. My sister in law Shayleen emailed me a great list of ideas that Kelton and I pondered over. We decided to get some 7up and write, "there are 7 reasons why you are "up" on our list of favorites". We went to the store and bought some 2 liters, got home, then decided that for some neighbors that we hardly know, that it's sadly hard to think of 7 reasons. So, next on the list was a Santa or snowman ornament with silly phrases too. I went to the store, bought 6 of those thinking we could give those. After getting home, I thought to myself, this is lame, these are tiny. What do we do, just walk over there and give someone a little tiny ornament, that looks like it cost fifty cents, when really it was $2.99. I then talked to Michelle and she said melt some white chocolate chips, drizzle over some pretzels then put mini candy on them, put them in a bag and there you go. So here I at the store AGAIN, I buy 3 bags of white chocolate chips, pretzels, and a couple oven mits with brownie mix inside (just in case). This time everything sat on the kitchen table for almost a whole week, when Kelton asks me what he is going to give his teacher. I decide one of the oven mits, and throw in an ornament that says "just be "Claus" I think you are neat". On Thursday, I decide ok, lets do the pretzels, I layed them out on the table then realize I don't have any candy to put on them. So away the pretzels go in a zip lock. On Friday I decide to do the pretzel thing so we can get them delivered over the weekend. I spread out the pretzels on some wax paper, just like Michelle said, I start melting the chips. I tell Kelton to get ready to sprinkle the pretzels (with sprinkles I bought since I couldn't find mini candy of any sort besides nerds). I go to pour the white chocolate and it is just plopping huge plops on the pretzels. It must need to melt a little more I think, so I put it back on the stove and keep stirring, but it's not getting and more thin...ok, I will just add some milk, that ought to do it. Why have I never known NEVER to add milk to white chocolate. I figured MILK CHOCOLATE=milk= OK. Within seconds my not runny enough white chocolate is now a ball of modeling clay. A big massive ball of modeling clay. I can't tell you the thoughts going through my head at this point, since I was practically looking though my tears. What is so incredibly hard about melting chips and putting over some pretzels for crying out loud. I don't know why I bought 3 bags, but only melted 2, so thankfully I still had 1 more bag. I get a new pot out and start melting the last bag, I tell Kelton this time I am really ready, and I start to drizzle the ploppy chocolate. Kelton looks at me like I am crazy and don't know what I am doing, because obviously they aren't getting drizzled, they are getting dumped on some, and nothing on others. I let them dry, looking sad indeed, then goodness, what don't I have? Little cute Christmas bags to put them in. Off to the store again. After realizing that I should have done way more pretzels (since I could only fill 4 bags part way) I decide not all our friends are getting these ugly things. I put them in bags, put the ornaments on them to hide how gross they look, and type up the phrase "there are "snow" better folks than you!" I don't even want to put our name on it, but after I am into it $60 now they are getting delivered today. Next year I am buying candles.
P.S. The neighbors got the hideous oven mits with brownie mix. Sorry to those who got the pretzels.

No comments: