Monday, April 14, 2008

I AM BETTY CROCKER

Shad and I received a bread maker 10 years ago. We used it quite a bit at first, but I haven't used it in probably 3 years (maybe more). The other day, I was cleaning and thought hmmmm, homemade bread sounds really good. That night, Shad mentioned the same thing. So, the next day I went to the store and picked out a box of cinnamon raisin and set it on the counter. Shad saw it and said "oh, when are you going to make the bread?" I told him, one day he would come home from work and would smell the delicious bread and if he was lucky, there would be some left to eat. Three days went by with that box of bread staring at me. I finally decided Friday was a good day. I purposefully did it in the morning so I could be all alone at the house when it was finished, and therefore, would be the one who gets the "best" part of the bread, namely, the middle. I put all the ingredients in, pushed the button, and waited 3 hours and 45 minutes for it. I heard it beep every once in a while, and could smell the wonderful scent, then, when it was finally done, I waited just a bit to let it cool down. When I opened the top, this is what I found.

This is exactly what it looked like when I put it in the darn thing! It's just harder and darker. Shad came home and could smell it, when he opened the lid, he started laughing, "that's Amy for ya, what a cook!". I have no idea what happened. I don't think I snapped down the inside container hard enough, so the mixer wasn't getting turned. I don't know, I don't even know if I should try it again. If I can't make a loaf of MACHINE bread, what can I do? Shonte', my sister in law, is always making homemade breads or some gourmet meal. Once, when I went by she was whipping up wheat muffins. She even cracked the wheat for crying out loud! I swore when I started working from home more, I would try to do all those great homemade meals. I do enjoy cooking, and would love to do it more, I just need a lot of money to burn trying to get it right. I bought cookie dough through Kelton's school for a fundraiser, and kid you not, I undercooked the first two batches, then burned one. That left me with one whole batch. That was a great twelve dollars spent.

On a lighter note, Sam loves to be sung to. I received the itsy bitsy spider as a gift and it is now his favorite song and book. The pictures are so colorful and it's the perfect size for him to hold. Thought thses pictures were sweet.

3 comments:

Shayleen Lunt said...

Amy - You are so funny. I say, ignore Shad's comment and try again. I have wanted a bread machine for so long, but now I'm scared. What if I can't make bread with it? hehe
Grandma Johnson (Betty Crock Queen) loved her bread machine!
I'm not with Shonte' either on her whole "cracked wheat" thing. ;)
As for that itsy bitsy spider book. Love it! Carter has the same one. (From Grandma J) Those foam covered books are great until they start chewing on them and Carter has ripped all the velcro tabs off too, but I still love 'em.
I like how Sam uses his toes to keep the book proped up;)

Lucy Wall said...

I love Sam's face in the first picture...I can't believe how much him and Addie are growing up...

xXx said...

THAT looks DElish! :) YAY for Music on our blogs!